Choose one of the following options, indicating knowledge of the key issues, terms, and phrases from the reading assignment in the text and outside research.
- Discuss how Britten combines two or more classical forms to create a unique musical work. Which traits of the original forms are retained? Which ones are compromised?
- How do visual colors correspond to tone colors? Do certain instrument families give off specific moods or feelings, and do those match with a specific visual color? Is the use of color in the video a help or hindrance to distinguishing tone color?
- Imagine if different colors were assigned to different families of instruments than the choices made in the video. Would you have a different response to those choices? If so, why?
- What associations are you conditioned to make with certain instrument families – voices, strings, woodwinds, brasses, percussion, electronic? Think moods, settings, themes, meanings. Are you surprised by associations put forward by your peers? What accounts for the differences?
- Students are required to post a minimum of three times to the DB each week: one response to the discussion board assignment and two responses to classmates
- The first contribution must be posted before Thursday 11:59 p.m. ET
- The second and third posts must be made after Thursday and before Sunday 11:59 p.m. ET
- The second and third posts can be made on the same day
- Discussion board assignments will not be accepted after the Sunday deadline
- Your posts should be of substance and address the topic
- Use MLA format for any quotations or citations you use to support your answer